EHS Service Satisfaction Survey - Please complete this brief evaluation and give us your opinion about the services EHS has provided to you. All surveys are sent to the Director of Environmental Health & Safety. NEW!
"The University of Virginia regards its moral, legal and economic responsibility for providing a safe and secure working environment for its students, faculty and staff to be a high priority. All University activities shall be conducted using reasonable precautions to protect faculty, staff, students, the public, and the environment so as to minimize dangers to life, safety and property."
-- This policy was developed by a consensus of HS administrators and approved by the Vice Presidential Planning Group 2/14/1984.
Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) is a resource that is available to every member of the University community to help make the living, working, and learning environment safe, by promoting prudent work practices through effective education and consultation.
EHS assists individuals, departments, and committees, to achieve compliance with University, local, state and federal policies and regulations, as efficiently as possible.
EHS serves as the University’s liaison with external regulatory agencies.
EHS monitors University compliance through audit, program development, education, accident investigation, and consultation.
News & Hot Topics
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS) – EHS, in partnership with UVA’s Health System, announces a NEW searchable, web-based SDS database. Find up-to-date SDS for hazardous chemicals, and easily view, download and print: Search the UVA SDS Database.
- Laser Registry - an online registry for all Class 1M, 2M, 3B & Class 4 research lasers. The registry is an online application that assists researchers to complete the required registration of research lasers and manage the documentation of laboratory-specific laser safety programs and laser safety training at UVA.
- UVA Biosafety e-Manual
- View our video describing UVA‘s Biosafety e-Manual
- E-mail announcement describing UVA‘s Biosafety e-Manual
- STAR - Safety, Training & Record-keeping
STAR is an online application which will help faculty and staff to manage documentation of Federally required training and research related compliance data at the University of Virginia. Go to STAR!
- Task Force on Laboratory Safety - The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) has formed the Task Force on Laboratory Safety to provide research universities with recommendations and guidance on the most appropriate strategies to enhance a culture of laboratory safety.
- FAQ for New Principal Investigators
- Lab Moves & Moving In
- Lab Decommissioning
- Waste Pickup Requests
- Radiation Dosimeter Applications
- Training Modules
- View Your Training Records
- Search Training Records
- Safety Data Sheets (aka SDS/MSDS)
- How to properly collect & dispose of your Waste
- How to ship Hazardous Materials (inlcuding Dry Ice)
- Statement for inclusion in research proposals that require a brief overview of UVA's environmental, health, safety, and quality assurance practices and oversight